Posted by: Betty on: April 30, 2013
Several remedies for swollen tonsils and sore throat are available. Different remedies for swollen tonsils and sore throat include home remedies, herbal medication, allopathic and surgical treatment. Tonsils are lymphoid organs that are present in the back of mouth and protect body against foreign particles including bacteria, viruses and irritating particles. These tonsils screen any foreign invader that gets entry into the body. When infected with viruses, including adenovirus and influenza virus, and bacteria, including staphylococcus aureus, tonsils get congested and swell up. This swelling of tonsils is called “tonsillitis” and presents with symptoms including fever, cough and sore throat.
There are several home remedies for swollen tonsils and sore throat. These remedies are mainly directed towards improving the immunity of human body so that it can fight against the invading organism in an effective manner. These home remedies include:
- Sitting in a moist environment will help reduce the itching and soreness of throat.
- One of the cheapest yet most effective home remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat is gargling with warm water containing a small amount of table salt. This not only helps reducing the soreness of throat but also reduce swelling of the tonsils.
- Drink hot tea, broth and warm water in order to reduce the selling of the throat.
- Take as much rest as possible as it will help the body fight against invaders.
- Yelling, singing excessive use of throat must be avoided to prevent further progression.
Herbal treatment is another effective remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat. Herbal treatment includes the use of herbs like:
- Echinacea: It is considered as one of the most important herbal remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat. It purifies the blood and helps improving immune system of human body. It decreases the congestion of tonsils and helps reducing inflammation. It also improves the white cell count to fight with invaders.
- Slippery elm: It is obtained from the bark of slippery elm tree. It coats the mucus surface of air passages and digestive track. It is commonly available in the form of lozenges and helps reducing discomfort and soreness of throat.
- Garlic: Garlic is the cheapest herbal remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat. Garlic has a strong anti-bacterial and anti-viral effect. It is an excellent anti-oxidant and helps improving the immune system. It also provides a soothing effect when used in sore throat.
- Cayenne, honey and lemon: A mixture of these ingredients can significantly reduce the swelling of the tonsils.
Remedies for swollen tonsils and sore throat also include the use of allopathic medicines which include:
- Penicillin and amoxilin are used if the tonsil infection is caused by streptococcus A species.
- In acute conditions, the drugs of choice are cephalosporin and macrolides.
- If penicillin therapy fails, then the person is given anti-biotic like clindamycin.
- Fever reducing medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen are also used.
Surgical removal of tonsils is the ultimate remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat if the condition persists for a long period of time.
Posted by: Betty on: April 2, 2013
Swollen throat remedies for kids include home remedies, herbal treatment, medical treatment and surgical correction. Swollen throat can be due to several causes including bacterial infections, viral infections, tooth extraction or decay, ear infections and any trauma.
Home remedies are widely used for swollen throat in kids. Home remedies for swollen throat in kids include:
- Sufficient rest is very important to lessen the severity of swollen throat. It helps reducing all the underlying causes of throat infection.
- Eating a healthy diet is one of the most important remedies for swollen throat in kids. Diet rich in antioxidants like soya beans, fruits and vegetables prove helpful. Omega-3 fatty acids are particularly very important in treating inflammation. It is commonly found in salmon, walnuts and canola oil. So, consumption of diet rich in fruits and vegetables is very helpful.
- Warmth applied to swollen throat helps soothing pain.
- Intake of fluids including water, juice and green tea can provide soothing effect and can reduce the swelling of throat.
Herbal swollen throat remedies for kids include:
- Use of a few drops of ginger or black pepper oil in warm bath can help reducing swelling
- Lavender oil when applied on the inflamed area or used in warm bath help treating swollen throat
- Eucalyptus is a strong anti-microbial agent and when applied on the swollen throat, used as an inhalant or is used in warm bath can help lessen the pain and swollen throat.
- Application of warm water containing few drops of lemon oil can also help reduce the swelling of throat
- Cleavers are excellent herbs used in the treatment of inflammation caused due to tonsillitis
- Echinacea is a potent herb which can improve lymphatic circulation and thus can be used as a remedy for swollen throat in kids
- Ginger is another excellent remedy for swollen throat in kids
Swollen throat remedies for kids include several medicines like:
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used to decrease the swelling caused by bacteria. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the most commonly used NSAID for swollen throat.
- Aspirin is also used as a remedy for swollen throat in kids.
- If throat swelling is secondary to an ear infection then it can be cured by using ear drops.
- If throat infection is secondary to tooth infection, then use of anti-inflammatory drugs is recommended.
- Observe oral hygiene because tooth decay can also cause swollen throat. If infection spreads in teeth, treat it by using anti-biotic medicines.
Surgical correction is another remedy for throat infection is kids. Persistent adenoids and tonsillitis can be corrected by simple surgical removal of these lymph nodes. Swollen throat remedies for kids include inhalation of steam, use of ginger, use of lemon or green tea, eating diet rich in antioxidants, drinking plenty water and use of anti-biotic medicines. Natural remedies for swollen throat include use of ginger, essential oils and herbs. Swollen throat due to tonsillitis can be treated by use of warm fluids, anti-biotic or surgical removal of tonsils. Swollen throat due to allergic causes can be treated by use of anti-allergic like anti-histaminic drugs.
Posted by: Betty on: March 18, 2013
Sore and swollen throat are among the common symptoms of a number of health problems. A swollen throat can be due to an upper respiratory infection caused by either bacteria or virus. During pregnancy swollen throat is most commonly caused by Streptococcus infections. The symptoms can be a constant lingering pain in throat along with swelling, fever, headache, cough, difficulty in swallowing and breathing, weakness and feeling of lethargy. Medications are contraindicated during pregnancy especially in the first trimester. Having a sore or swollen throat while pregnant should be treated far more cautiously than routine to prevent complications in mother and developing child. Only appropriate antibiotics should be taken for rapid recovery and to ensure good health of mother and child. Immune system of a woman also becomes weak during pregnancy.
Natural swollen throat remedies during pregnancy are taken to ease out the symptoms and provide relief to the mother. Some of the preventive measures and natural swollen throat remedies during pregnancy are as follows:
- Cold and sour drinks should be avoided
- Warm broth based soup and warm water should be taken. This also helps to remove toxins from the body and boosts the immunity
- Warm saline (salt water) rinses and gargles should be repeated at short intervals to relieve the symptoms
- Warm water with honey also helps sooth the swollen throat during pregnancy
- A spoonful of honey provides instant temporary relief for sore throat
- Oranges are enriched with vitamin C so if eaten as a whole or taken in juice form can cure sore, swollen throat during pregnancy
- Herbal tea such as green tea, lemon tea and ginger tea acts as an analgesic for painful swollen throat
- Taking warm milk with a pinch of turmeric reduces the inflammation of throat. Small quantity of turmeric can also be taken with warm water.
- Running a humidifier is an effective remedy for sore and swollen throat remedies during pregnancy by preventing the throat from getting too dry
- Eating a balanced diet boosts up the immune system which in turn fights off infectious organism responsible for swollen throat
If swollen throat is due to an infection, it may be confirmed by throat culture test or a rapid strep test to confirm streptococcus bacterium. Once the infection is confirmed, antibiotics can be started accordingly. Penicillin, amoxicillin, erythromycin and cephalexin can be administered in pregnancy but the dose must be carefully monitored. Sometimes common cold can also cause swelling and pain in throat. In such a case there is no need of taking antibiotics.
For the treatment of pain acetaminophen can be taken as safe swollen throat remedies during pregnancy. Pain killers such as NSAIDs, mefenamic acid, morphine and corticosteroids are highly contraindicated during pregnancy and must not be used. If the swelling goes up to such an extent that it makes the breathing difficult or it limits the opening of mouth, the swelling is accompanied with high fever, swollen lymph nodes or rashes along with sore throat then an immediate medical help should be called for.
Posted by: Betty on: March 8, 2013
The agony of swollen throat is accentuated with every gulp and bite, the swollen throat remedies whether home based or medical can help you in alleviating these troublesome symptoms. What the lay men call swollen throat is known as pharyngitis in medical terminology, some also label it as tonsillitis. Swollen throat remedies are easy enough to be followed and mostly do not require a visit to the doctor. Swollen throat remedies which can prevent development of infection are:
- Saline gargles after every meal; for this take 1 teaspoon of salt and dissolve it in a cup of warm water. It will wash out the pathogens from the mouth and will prevent them from lodging onto the pieces of food where they can proliferate. A medicated mouth wash can also be used. Those who have a bad breath are also at increased risk of developing sore throat and should gargle more often since it indicates that some infective process is already going on there and effective swollen throat remedies need to be taken immediately.
- Swollen throat remedies for kids involve various factors the most common of which is mouth breathing. Mouth breathing predisposes to infections and therefore children should be counseled and taught to breath from the nose. Those who have enlarged adenoids or protruding front teeth will find it easier to breathe through the mouth, along with appropriate treatment. Swollen throat remedies involve discouraging mouth breathing in these children.
- In winter season due to the lack of humidity and increased use of heaters, dehydration of the airways occurs which predisposes to respiratory tract infections. Placing humidifiers in the room or a bowl of water in the room can keep the humidity near to the required level and serves as one of the effective swollen throat remedies.
- Tobacco, toffees and foods which sticks to teeth, hot sauces and spicy food- all have a tendency to cause swollen throat, swollen throat remedies would be incomplete if you do not stop taking these.
- For medical staff, it is advisable that face masks should be worn when interacting with patients who have sore throat or other respiratory tract infections.
- Those individuals who have heart burn or regurgitate stomach acidic contents also complain about swollen throat, they should take milk for instant relief. It is one of the effective swollen throat remedies in people with GERD.
- Swollen throat remedies while pregnant focus more upon the gastric problems. Vomiting leads to frequent exposure of the throat to the acidic contents of the stomach like in GERD.
- One of the common reasons for swollen throat is allergy; swollen throat remedies for these individuals are aimed at prevention of exposure. Dust mites also cause an allergic reaction and lead to development of swollen throat.
Swollen throat remedies also include use of cough drops, lozenges, antihistamine syrups. Prescribed medicines include antibiotics, steroid preparations and other drugs which open up the airway. Swollen throat natural remedies include consumption of substances which have anti-inflammatory activity such as garlic, herbal tea, mustard and so on.